Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington met with NFL, still suspended first four games
"I thought it was a good interview in New York but I didn't get the news I wanted to here," the linebacker said Thursday. "I think that's just motivation for me to come back stronger (after) these four games."
Washington, who was suspended for a quarter of the regular season for violating the league's substance abuse policy back in April, wanted to talk with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about the matter, but instead met with the league's Vice President for Law and Labor Policy, Dr. Adolpho Birch.
"We had a good meeting; he was a good dude," Washington said. "Got a lot to understand about what's going on."
Washington, 26, made the Pro Bowl last season after racking up 134 total tackles to go along with nine sacks, one interception, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. One of the best young linebackers in the NFL, his offseason was marred by the suspension as well as an arrest on domestic violence charges.
His next court date is scheduled for Oct. 9, and whether or not that will lead to him missing more games remains to be seen.
In the meantime, Washington, who missed practice Tuesday to go to the Big Apple, will just keep working to get his career back on track.
Saying the meeting was worthwhile if only to allow the league executive see what kind of person he was off the field, all the linebacker can do is move forward.
"I'm going to keep my head up, put a smile on my face and be ready to play."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.