Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington met with NFL, still suspended first four games
"I thought it was a good interview in New York but I didn't get the news I wanted to here," the linebacker said Thursday. "I think that's just motivation for me to come back stronger (after) these four games."
Washington, who was suspended for a quarter of the regular season for violating the league's substance abuse policy back in April, wanted to talk with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about the matter, but instead met with the league's Vice President for Law and Labor Policy, Dr. Adolpho Birch.
"We had a good meeting; he was a good dude," Washington said. "Got a lot to understand about what's going on."
Washington, 26, made the Pro Bowl last season after racking up 134 total tackles to go along with nine sacks, one interception, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. One of the best young linebackers in the NFL, his offseason was marred by the suspension as well as an arrest on domestic violence charges.
His next court date is scheduled for Oct. 9, and whether or not that will lead to him missing more games remains to be seen.
In the meantime, Washington, who missed practice Tuesday to go to the Big Apple, will just keep working to get his career back on track.
Saying the meeting was worthwhile if only to allow the league executive see what kind of person he was off the field, all the linebacker can do is move forward.
"I'm going to keep my head up, put a smile on my face and be ready to play."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Arizona Cardinals agree to terms with Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
- Arizona Cardinals react to Karlos Dansby's departure
- Arizona Cardinals to lose LB Karlos Dansby to Cleveland Browns
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?