Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington met with NFL, still suspended first four games
"I thought it was a good interview in New York but I didn't get the news I wanted to here," the linebacker said Thursday. "I think that's just motivation for me to come back stronger (after) these four games."
Washington, who was suspended for a quarter of the regular season for violating the league's substance abuse policy back in April, wanted to talk with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about the matter, but instead met with the league's Vice President for Law and Labor Policy, Dr. Adolpho Birch.
"We had a good meeting; he was a good dude," Washington said. "Got a lot to understand about what's going on."
Washington, 26, made the Pro Bowl last season after racking up 134 total tackles to go along with nine sacks, one interception, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. One of the best young linebackers in the NFL, his offseason was marred by the suspension as well as an arrest on domestic violence charges.
His next court date is scheduled for Oct. 9, and whether or not that will lead to him missing more games remains to be seen.
In the meantime, Washington, who missed practice Tuesday to go to the Big Apple, will just keep working to get his career back on track.
Saying the meeting was worthwhile if only to allow the league executive see what kind of person he was off the field, all the linebacker can do is move forward.
"I'm going to keep my head up, put a smile on my face and be ready to play."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.