Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington met with NFL, still suspended first four games
"I thought it was a good interview in New York but I didn't get the news I wanted to here," the linebacker said Thursday. "I think that's just motivation for me to come back stronger (after) these four games."
Washington, who was suspended for a quarter of the regular season for violating the league's substance abuse policy back in April, wanted to talk with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about the matter, but instead met with the league's Vice President for Law and Labor Policy, Dr. Adolpho Birch.
"We had a good meeting; he was a good dude," Washington said. "Got a lot to understand about what's going on."
Washington, 26, made the Pro Bowl last season after racking up 134 total tackles to go along with nine sacks, one interception, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. One of the best young linebackers in the NFL, his offseason was marred by the suspension as well as an arrest on domestic violence charges.
His next court date is scheduled for Oct. 9, and whether or not that will lead to him missing more games remains to be seen.
In the meantime, Washington, who missed practice Tuesday to go to the Big Apple, will just keep working to get his career back on track.
Saying the meeting was worthwhile if only to allow the league executive see what kind of person he was off the field, all the linebacker can do is move forward.
"I'm going to keep my head up, put a smile on my face and be ready to play."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up