New AFL team named for Kiss to play in California
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Arena League football fans get ready to rock `n roll all night.
The league is returning to the Los Angeles area with a new expansion team named after the rock band Kiss.
The expansion L.A. Kiss will begin play in 2014 with home games at Honda Center in Anaheim.
The league made the announcement on Thursday. Season tickets will be available for $99 and inaugural season seat holders will be invited to a free Kiss concert at Honda Center next year.
Founding band members Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley are fans of the league that features 50-yard fields and high-scoring offenses.
Simmons says the AFL's fast-paced action is an obvious fit for the band known for its high-energy shows and flamboyant costumes and makeup. He says attending an L.A. Kiss game will be similar to seeing the band play live.
"There's nothing like AFL and that's what we're going to promote," Simmons told a news conference. "This is about taking AFL to heights it's never been before."
Southern California hasn't had an AFL team since the Los Angeles Avengers folded in April 2009. They played eight seasons at Staples Center.
"L.A. is dying for a football team," Stanley said. "What we want to see happen is to take the excitement that is AFL football and bring entertainment to it. We don't put our name on something unless we believe in it. This is something that really resonates with us."
The band's manager, Doc McGhee, helped bring the rockers and the league together.
The league's Arena Bowl will be played Saturday in Orlando, Fla., featuring the defending champion Arizona Rattlers against the Philadelphia Soul. Rockers Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora were original owners of the Soul.
The CBS telecast of the game will include a halftime show with Kiss. The band is playing Friday night as part of the league's festivities.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.