NFL.com: Arizona Cardinals Stepfan Taylor could surprise as a rookie
The team's third-round pick, the former LSU Tiger and Heisman Trophy finalist has been making plays all over the field, and is even set to start Saturday's preseason game in place of an injured Rashad Johnson.
However, Mathieu is hardly the only first-year player on the roster, and he's not the only one who may make an impact, as first-round pick Jonathan Cooper is expected to start at left guard and linebacker Kevin Minter will likely see considerable playing time at linebacker. But it is running back Stepfan Taylor who earned an NFL.com nod as a rookie ready to surprise this season.
Wrote Chris Wesseling:
The fifth-rounder out of Stanford arrived in the desert as an NFL-ready pass protector and route runner, two qualities often lacking in rookie tailbacks. With a snakebitten Ryan Williams facing the roster guillotine, Taylor could enter the season behind only Rashard Mendenhall on the depth chart. Considering Mendenhall's durability issues, Taylor might be thrust into the featured back role before the end of the season.
Taylor finished college as Stanford's all-time leading rusher, and ran for 1,530 yards with 13 touchdowns as a senior. He tallied 64 yards on 20 carries in last Friday's preseason opener, and along with Alfonso Smith has been the only Cardinals running back not to miss time with injury since camp began.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves