Updated Aug 13, 2013 - 11:54 am
Larry Fitzgerald: best player on the field, last player off the field
I saw it.
So did my co-host John Gambadoro.
So did AZCentral beat writer Kent Somers, and Darren Urban from azcardinals.com.
Paul Calvisi was talking about it on Channel 15 as I was walking out of the stadium Monday.
Larry Fitzgerald, the best player on the field, also happened to be the last player on the field.
Long after everybody else was gone (with one disclaimer I'll get to in a second) he was working on catching technique with tight end DC Jefferson, who didn't exactly have a banner night at Lambeau Field. Jefferson dropped a couple of passes, including one in the end zone that certainly could have been thrown better than Drew Stanton threw it.
The bad night was made worse when his coach mentioned him by name in the postgame press conference.
So as the goal posts were being torn down and practice a good 30 minutes in the rear view mirror, there was Fitz putting in the overtime with the rook.
It's not the first time I've seen it.
Last week, same drill. The goal posts were being torn down, the sideline equipment was being torn and there's Larry Fitzgerald, the last player on the field working endlessly on catching balls over his shoulder.
The world doesn't necessarily need another blog or column testifying to the greatness of Larry Fitzgerald, but when the cliché -- he's the last player on the field -- is the truth, it bears repeating.
The disclaimer is that there was one other player out there too; Patrick Peterson. He was putting in the overtime work as well, signing every autograph for every fan who bothered to stay that long.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.