Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 9:45 pm
Cards' head coach Bruce Arians: 'I'm pulling for' Ryan Williams
"The handwriting's on the wall," Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta. "Either get out there and play, or you probably won't be here."
Since rupturing his right patella tendon in his rookie season, the 23-year-old Virginia Tech product has played in just five NFL games, also battling a shoulder injury last season.
"I've never seen a guy work so hard to get back to play football, look so good in shorts, and then can't play," Arians told Bickley with Marotta. "And it's a feeling that he has that his knee's not ready. So that's between he and the doctors."
Soreness is Williams' self-diagnosis, and it has been incapacitating enough to hold him out of almost all of the Cardinals' training camp activities.
But early last week, Williams guaranteed he would be ready to suit up for his team's preseason showdown with the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday at University of Phoenix Stadium.
"I know for a fact that I'll be playing in the Cowboys game, for a fact," he said. "I like to be a man of my word and I know that I'm playing the Cowboys game."
But on Wednesday, with Williams still held out from contact, Bickley and Marotta questioned whether the back would be ready for the game, which now stands just five days and three practices away.
Arians wonders, just the same.
"I'd like to see him practice before he gets in the Dallas game," said Arians. "That would be nice."
Despite the setbacks and tenderfootedness, Arians has no questions about Williams' drive or work ethic.
"I'm pulling for him," he said. "I like him. I think he's a great kid. He's a hard worker.
"And sometimes I think he's too conscientious."
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?