Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 9:45 pm
Cards' head coach Bruce Arians: 'I'm pulling for' Ryan Williams
"The handwriting's on the wall," Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta. "Either get out there and play, or you probably won't be here."
Since rupturing his right patella tendon in his rookie season, the 23-year-old Virginia Tech product has played in just five NFL games, also battling a shoulder injury last season.
"I've never seen a guy work so hard to get back to play football, look so good in shorts, and then can't play," Arians told Bickley with Marotta. "And it's a feeling that he has that his knee's not ready. So that's between he and the doctors."
Soreness is Williams' self-diagnosis, and it has been incapacitating enough to hold him out of almost all of the Cardinals' training camp activities.
But early last week, Williams guaranteed he would be ready to suit up for his team's preseason showdown with the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday at University of Phoenix Stadium.
"I know for a fact that I'll be playing in the Cowboys game, for a fact," he said. "I like to be a man of my word and I know that I'm playing the Cowboys game."
But on Wednesday, with Williams still held out from contact, Bickley and Marotta questioned whether the back would be ready for the game, which now stands just five days and three practices away.
Arians wonders, just the same.
"I'd like to see him practice before he gets in the Dallas game," said Arians. "That would be nice."
Despite the setbacks and tenderfootedness, Arians has no questions about Williams' drive or work ethic.
"I'm pulling for him," he said. "I like him. I think he's a great kid. He's a hard worker.
"And sometimes I think he's too conscientious."
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.