Updated Aug 10, 2013 - 7:46 am
Cardinals' Andre Roberts: Quarterback Carson Palmer and wide receivers gaining confidence
But after being the recipient of Carson Palmer's longest pass from scrimmage -- a 38-yard touchdown strike -- in the Cardinals' 17-0 preseason victory over the Green Bay Packers Friday night, even the fourth-year wideout out of The Citadel could sense something was different with No. 3 behind center.
"He's doing a great job," Roberts said. "You can see that. We didn't have many plays in this game, but he's doing a great job for us. We can't wait to see what this season entails."
From Palmer's small sample size in the team's 17-point win, the season could entail plenty of positives potentially. The two-time Pro Bowler was efficient (4-of-6 for 77 yards), went down field multiple times and spread the ball evenly to his three top receivers (Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Roberts).
It might have only been nine snaps, but Roberts can feel the group is gaining momentum in the confidence department.
"That's the big thing me, Carson, Larry and Mike have been working on in training camp, just instilling that confidence in Carson to throw the ball down the field to us," said Roberts. "He has to understand that every time, we want him to know that we're going to go get the ball for him. Just like we know he's going to go down field and place it perfectly like he did tonight."
One preseason game down, and already as Roberts hinted at, the team's top offensive weapons are building a much-needed level of trust with their quarterback.
It never hurts when part of that equation features a seasoned veteran like Palmer.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.