Cardinals backup quarterback Drew Stanton makes most of preseason opportunity
Carson Palmer, who went 4-of-6 for 77 yards and a touchdown Friday night, will be the Week 1 starter regardless of what transpires -- outside of an injury -- during the preseason.
But backup Drew Stanton's performance in the Cardinals' preseason opener against the Green Bay Packers was still impressive in its own right.
While he was going up against Mike McCarthy's second-team defense, the 29-year-old looked comfortable both in the pocket and outside it.
On his first series, Stanton led Arizona on an eight-play, 52-yard drive highlighted by a beautiful 36-yard connection with Charles Hawkins and a one-yard touchdown strike to Jalen Brown.
In all, Stanton played four offensive series and went 8-of-14 for 107 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed the ball twice for eight yards.
Stanton, who is now with his fourth NFL team, signed a three-year, $8.2 million contract with the Cardinals back in March 2013.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Arizona Cardinals agree to terms with Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
- Arizona Cardinals react to Karlos Dansby's departure
- Arizona Cardinals to lose LB Karlos Dansby to Cleveland Browns
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.