Cardinals backup quarterback Drew Stanton makes most of preseason opportunity
Carson Palmer, who went 4-of-6 for 77 yards and a touchdown Friday night, will be the Week 1 starter regardless of what transpires -- outside of an injury -- during the preseason.
But backup Drew Stanton's performance in the Cardinals' preseason opener against the Green Bay Packers was still impressive in its own right.
While he was going up against Mike McCarthy's second-team defense, the 29-year-old looked comfortable both in the pocket and outside it.
On his first series, Stanton led Arizona on an eight-play, 52-yard drive highlighted by a beautiful 36-yard connection with Charles Hawkins and a one-yard touchdown strike to Jalen Brown.
In all, Stanton played four offensive series and went 8-of-14 for 107 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed the ball twice for eight yards.
Stanton, who is now with his fourth NFL team, signed a three-year, $8.2 million contract with the Cardinals back in March 2013.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.