Cardinals backup quarterback Drew Stanton makes most of preseason opportunity
Carson Palmer, who went 4-of-6 for 77 yards and a touchdown Friday night, will be the Week 1 starter regardless of what transpires -- outside of an injury -- during the preseason.
But backup Drew Stanton's performance in the Cardinals' preseason opener against the Green Bay Packers was still impressive in its own right.
While he was going up against Mike McCarthy's second-team defense, the 29-year-old looked comfortable both in the pocket and outside it.
On his first series, Stanton led Arizona on an eight-play, 52-yard drive highlighted by a beautiful 36-yard connection with Charles Hawkins and a one-yard touchdown strike to Jalen Brown.
In all, Stanton played four offensive series and went 8-of-14 for 107 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed the ball twice for eight yards.
Stanton, who is now with his fourth NFL team, signed a three-year, $8.2 million contract with the Cardinals back in March 2013.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves