Cardinals backup quarterback Drew Stanton makes most of preseason opportunity
Carson Palmer, who went 4-of-6 for 77 yards and a touchdown Friday night, will be the Week 1 starter regardless of what transpires -- outside of an injury -- during the preseason.
But backup Drew Stanton's performance in the Cardinals' preseason opener against the Green Bay Packers was still impressive in its own right.
While he was going up against Mike McCarthy's second-team defense, the 29-year-old looked comfortable both in the pocket and outside it.
On his first series, Stanton led Arizona on an eight-play, 52-yard drive highlighted by a beautiful 36-yard connection with Charles Hawkins and a one-yard touchdown strike to Jalen Brown.
In all, Stanton played four offensive series and went 8-of-14 for 107 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed the ball twice for eight yards.
Stanton, who is now with his fourth NFL team, signed a three-year, $8.2 million contract with the Cardinals back in March 2013.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b