The 5: Things I'm watching for during the Arizona Cardinals' preseason opener
Every example is preceded by the disclaimer "I know it's just the first preseason game, but……"
Oh, and I didn't include Carson Palmer. That is a given.
1. Patrick Peterson on offense - Camp Cards has been bursting with stories on just how many looks Peterson has seen as an offensive player. On how many times he's played defense one series, only to don a white pullover, switch sides and play on offense. On Wednesday, I saw him catch a long bomb for a touchdown from Carson Palmer. Just how much of a glimpse into this are we going to see against the Packers?
2. The run game - Eric Winston said during our show Wednesday that he can look Cardinals fans in the eye and tell them the offensive line will be better than in years past. Pass protection will obviously be the main gauge of that, but so will their ability to run the football. It might not be easy to tell; injuries to Ryan Williams, Rashard Mendenhall and Andre Ellington have been an issue. Still, it's worth watching.
3. Cornerback depth - They've got a lot of it and after Friday we'll have a better idea of who is on the top of the pyramid and who is on the bottom.
4. Tyrann Mathieu - "Pound-for-pound the best player on the field" and "playmaking machine" are two of my favorite quotes I've read about the rookie out of LSU in the last couple of days. He's made a play just about every day at camp so far. Let's see how that translates into the game.
5. Wide Receiver depth - It's unlike the cornerback position since they don't have a lot of it. After the top three, there's a big drop-off. But just like the cornerback spot, it's time to see who is on the top of the pyramid on who is on the bottom.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.