The 5: Things I'm watching for during the Arizona Cardinals' preseason opener
Every example is preceded by the disclaimer "I know it's just the first preseason game, but……"
Oh, and I didn't include Carson Palmer. That is a given.
1. Patrick Peterson on offense - Camp Cards has been bursting with stories on just how many looks Peterson has seen as an offensive player. On how many times he's played defense one series, only to don a white pullover, switch sides and play on offense. On Wednesday, I saw him catch a long bomb for a touchdown from Carson Palmer. Just how much of a glimpse into this are we going to see against the Packers?
2. The run game - Eric Winston said during our show Wednesday that he can look Cardinals fans in the eye and tell them the offensive line will be better than in years past. Pass protection will obviously be the main gauge of that, but so will their ability to run the football. It might not be easy to tell; injuries to Ryan Williams, Rashard Mendenhall and Andre Ellington have been an issue. Still, it's worth watching.
3. Cornerback depth - They've got a lot of it and after Friday we'll have a better idea of who is on the top of the pyramid and who is on the bottom.
4. Tyrann Mathieu - "Pound-for-pound the best player on the field" and "playmaking machine" are two of my favorite quotes I've read about the rookie out of LSU in the last couple of days. He's made a play just about every day at camp so far. Let's see how that translates into the game.
5. Wide Receiver depth - It's unlike the cornerback position since they don't have a lot of it. After the top three, there's a big drop-off. But just like the cornerback spot, it's time to see who is on the top of the pyramid on who is on the bottom.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.