Arizona Cardinal Eric Winston looks to keep proving himself
"I've never signed up, in any sport, to be a backup and ride the bench and be happy about not playing," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "That's just always been me.
"When I came here I was looking to win the job. Not be given the job; but I was looking to win the job."
As of now, it would appear he's done just that. The former Houston Texan and Kansas City Chief is listed as the starting right tackle on the team's initial depth chart, and he's been getting practice reps with the first team in training camp.
That said, Winston said he knows enough about how the NFL works to understand that just because he's the starter one day does not mean he will be the next, so he has to continue to practice well and then transfer that into games.
"You're always as good as the last thing you put on tape, so if I go to Green Bay and not play well, it probably opens the door for other guys," he said. "So I've got to consistently stack good practices together and stack good games together."
Winston added that the mentality is one he's carried with him his entire career.
"No matter how much money you're making, you've got to go out there and prove to your teammates and prove to everybody else that you're worthy of your spot, you're worthy of the place on your team and you have to go out there and do it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.