Arizona Cardinal Jerraud Powers is impressed with teammate Tyrann Mathieu
"I think everybody loves a story of the rise, the fall, then back on top type of story," he told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Wednesday. "He had the situation where he was so young.
"Everybody forgets how young he was."
Mathieu's off-the-field issues at LSU were well documented, and he was ultimately dismissed from the team by head coach Les Miles before the 2012 season. The season before, the "Honey Badger" had finished fifth in the Heisman Trophy balloting.
"When he fell, you had a lot of people kind of saying what they thought."
Powers said he heard all of it, that people hoped Mathieu would fail and that he would not amount to much in the NFL. However, the early returns on the Cardinals' third-round pick are promising, as he seems to be making plays from all over the secondary.
Powers, who signed as a free agent with the Cardinals, has had a first-hand look, and is very impressed.
"He's just accepting his role," Powers said. "He's not trying to be somebody he's not, he's not trying to act like he's bigger than the next person."
Of course, Mathieu, at 21, still has a long way to go before he convinces everyone he's destined for stardom, as he will need to stay clean off the field and perform well on it.
But, as Powers said, the rookie is well on his way.
"You can see the guy just turning that corner, and if everything continues to go as well as it has gone, the sky is the limit," he said. "He's a heck of a football player."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b