Former Sun Devil Kerry Taylor trying to stick on Arizona Cardinals' roster
The former Hamilton High star has donned the jerseys of the Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers and Minnesota Vikings. However, Taylor hasn't been able to suit up most Sundays.
Such is the plight of the practice squad player -- a role Taylor has known all too well. After New England released him from the practice squad last September, Taylor hooked on with the Arizona Cardinals and even got the chance to dress for the season finale against the 49ers, although he didn't play in the game.
Taylor has looked good in training camp thus far, and notices something different with this camp as opposed to the others he's participated in.
"This is the first camp where I've been given a real opportunity," Taylor said Tuesday. "The numbers have been in my favor this time around and I've just got to make the most of the opportunity. I feel really comfortable with the offense and I have a good opportunity here to make things happen."
The Cardinals released their first preseason depth chart Monday, and Taylor is listed as the fourth receiver behind veterans Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Roberts and second-year pro Michael Floyd. That's the good news. The bad news is that the 24-year-old has been sidelined the last two days with a minor hamstring injury.
As far as the depth chart, Taylor isn't all that concerned about where he is on the coaching staff's pecking order right now.
"I don't really worry about that stuff," he said. "I just try to come out every day and work as hard as I can. Numbers change, people are going to be here, people aren't going to be here, so hopefully I'll still be in the same spot when camp ends."
One way to ensure that he'll make the final 53-man roster is to impress in the preseason games. Head coach Bruce Arians mentioned Taylor as a player who could possibly return in time for the Cardinals' preseason opener Friday in Green Bay against the Packers.
"It's one of those things where if it was a regular game, it might be a little different. You never know what the training staff wants you to do," he said. "I'm just trying to get back as fast as a I can, but making smart decisions at the same time."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!