Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 5:24 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu continues to make plays in camp
One of the main agitators on defense in the first week has been rookie third-round pick Tyrann Mathieu. The LSU product had two interceptions during Thursday's practice in Tempe and continued to get his hands on balls Friday.
"Yeah, it was definitely exciting to get some turnovers," he said. "Any time you get turnovers, you put your team in position to score and that usually turns into a win."
Mathieu is also getting the attention of those on offense -- most notably quarterback Carson Palmer.
"Tyrann is getting his hands on a lot of balls," Palmer said Friday. "He's so quick and explosive in and out of breaks and reading concepts and knowing coverages and weaknesses in where we're trying to throw the ball."
Mathieu believes a lot of that has to do with his ever-growing comfort level. After a full year away from the game, it's all coming back to the 2011 SEC Defensive Player of the Year and Heisman Trophy finalist.
"I think the game is definitely slowing down for me," he said. "Right now, I'm just trying to get used to the shoulder pads and just running around out there just really trying to have some fun. It's camp, sometimes it's redundant so you just want to go out here and have some fun when you get on the field."
But it wasn't all fun for Mathieu on Friday. Former college teammate and fellow defensive back Patrick Peterson lined up on offense and beat Mathieu deep on a long pass from Palmer.
"I think he's a little faster than me," Mathieu admitted with a smile. "He got me on that one, so hopefully (Saturday) I'll get him back."
The Cardinals will hold their Red-White scrimmage Saturday at University of Phoenix Stadium. The session is open to the public and gets underway at 2:00 p.m.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?