Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians likes depth of defensive front
There could be up to six new starters, five of whom weren't even on the team last season.
The one area of the defense where there is little change is on the defensive line.
Calais Campbell, Dan Williams and Darnell Dockett all return to be the projected starters for the 2013 NFL season.
Along with the 'big three' comes a line with a lot of depth of veterans players that has head coach Bruce Arians excited.
"It's paramount to have depth to keep guys fresh and attacking," Arians said. "We want to be able to tap-out and put in a guy we trust. I like the rotation of guys we have right now, very multi-dimensional players and it's a good group."
David Carter, Frostee Rucker, John Abraham and Matt Shaughnessy give the Cardinals strong depth on the defensive line.
Abraham, the NFL's active sacks leader, was signed last week to give the Cardinals a pass rushing option they have not had since Bertrand Berry.
"He does it within the structure," Arians stated on how much freelancing he will give Abraham. "He knows if I got this guy on the up and under, he is going to let his tackle know to contain and he is going to take his shot.
"That is the beauty of veteran savvy."
The depth Arians has on the line gives the coach options to move players around and see what they can do in situations they are not familiar with.
"A lot of it is experimentation," Arians stated. "Right now you have to press guys out of their comfort zone to see what they can do."
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.