Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians likes depth of defensive front
There could be up to six new starters, five of whom weren't even on the team last season.
The one area of the defense where there is little change is on the defensive line.
Calais Campbell, Dan Williams and Darnell Dockett all return to be the projected starters for the 2013 NFL season.
Along with the 'big three' comes a line with a lot of depth of veterans players that has head coach Bruce Arians excited.
"It's paramount to have depth to keep guys fresh and attacking," Arians said. "We want to be able to tap-out and put in a guy we trust. I like the rotation of guys we have right now, very multi-dimensional players and it's a good group."
David Carter, Frostee Rucker, John Abraham and Matt Shaughnessy give the Cardinals strong depth on the defensive line.
Abraham, the NFL's active sacks leader, was signed last week to give the Cardinals a pass rushing option they have not had since Bertrand Berry.
"He does it within the structure," Arians stated on how much freelancing he will give Abraham. "He knows if I got this guy on the up and under, he is going to let his tackle know to contain and he is going to take his shot.
"That is the beauty of veteran savvy."
The depth Arians has on the line gives the coach options to move players around and see what they can do in situations they are not familiar with.
"A lot of it is experimentation," Arians stated. "Right now you have to press guys out of their comfort zone to see what they can do."
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?