Arizona Cardinals tight end Rob Housler excited to play with Carson Palmer
A 6-foot-5, 250-pound player with good hands who can run, much more has been -- and is -- expected of the former Florida Atlantic player.
Housler expects big things of himself this season, and with Carson Palmer under center it would seem as if he has no more excuses.
Because let's be honest, the team's QB woes the last two years certainly left a negative impact.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, Housler said Palmer's experience is invaluable.
"If you aren't on the same page, he won't let it slip for a second," Housler said. "He'll be in there and he'll be in your ear telling you what he expected.
"It's not derogatory in any way and I really appreciate it."
And though he passed the question off with a chuckle, odds are Housler also appreciates the fact that Palmer is, shall we say, a legitimate starting quarterback.
Last season, Arizona QBs combined to complete just 55.4 percent of their passes for 3,383 yards with 11 touchdowns and 21 interceptions. Over in Oakland, Palmer completed 61.1 percent of his passes for 4,018 yards with 22 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.
So while the 33-year-old may not be what he once was, it's tough to argue with the idea that he's significantly better than what the Cardinals had.
And that can only help players whose job is to catch the football.
"I think there's a pedigree to what he brings and you know the name is well known around anybody who follows football," Housler said of the excitement to play with Palmer. "So for me, even just from a fan perspective being not being in the NFL for most of his career, you see that and you're kind of like, 'Alright, you know, it's Carson Palmer here.'"
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.