Stepfan Taylor finally gets to be with Arizona Cardinals
However, having missed minicamps and OTAs due to academic requirements at Stanford, training camp is really his first chance to be with the team and show the coaches what he can do.
"These reps, actually going through the motions and hearing the plays and seeing the adjustments on the field is big for me," he told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Tuesday.
Taylor was selected by Arizona in the fifth round, number 140 overall. The Cardinal's all-time leader in career rushing yards, he enters camp as one of many running backs looking to earn a spot on the roster.
Because along with Taylor, the Cardinals have Rashard Mendenhall, Andre Ellington, Alfonso Smith and Ryan Williams vying for reps.
"We all know we're all great backs, so that's pushing our game, elevating our game because we've got to compete," Taylor said. "You see them make a good play and the next person wants to make a good play."
Taylor said the competition will only help the running backs improve, and thus the team will benefit, too.
Needless to say, Taylor is happy to finally be part of it all.
"I'm one of those people that it's great to be around your teammates because you build trust and respect and that me being away, it didn't feel right to me," Taylor added. "It was definitely rough but I had to."
That's all in the past, as Taylor is here and ready to get to work. The biggest adjustment, he said, is getting used to the speed, terminology and plays.
"How the coaches want things done at this level, rather than at the college level," he said.
Finally, Taylor is done with college. Now it's time to see what kind of pro he'll become.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.