Stepfan Taylor finally gets to be with Arizona Cardinals
However, having missed minicamps and OTAs due to academic requirements at Stanford, training camp is really his first chance to be with the team and show the coaches what he can do.
"These reps, actually going through the motions and hearing the plays and seeing the adjustments on the field is big for me," he told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Tuesday.
Taylor was selected by Arizona in the fifth round, number 140 overall. The Cardinal's all-time leader in career rushing yards, he enters camp as one of many running backs looking to earn a spot on the roster.
Because along with Taylor, the Cardinals have Rashard Mendenhall, Andre Ellington, Alfonso Smith and Ryan Williams vying for reps.
"We all know we're all great backs, so that's pushing our game, elevating our game because we've got to compete," Taylor said. "You see them make a good play and the next person wants to make a good play."
Taylor said the competition will only help the running backs improve, and thus the team will benefit, too.
Needless to say, Taylor is happy to finally be part of it all.
"I'm one of those people that it's great to be around your teammates because you build trust and respect and that me being away, it didn't feel right to me," Taylor added. "It was definitely rough but I had to."
That's all in the past, as Taylor is here and ready to get to work. The biggest adjustment, he said, is getting used to the speed, terminology and plays.
"How the coaches want things done at this level, rather than at the college level," he said.
Finally, Taylor is done with college. Now it's time to see what kind of pro he'll become.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.