Former Wildcat Antoine Cason ready to earn starting spot with Arizona Cardinals
The defensive back, who signed a one-year contract with the Cardinals in March, played his college ball at the University of Arizona -- where he starred -- before becoming a first-round pick of the San Diego Chargers' in 2008.
The 27-year-old, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday, said the decision to come back to Arizona was about the situation feeling right.
"It just seemed like a great fit for me and everyone wanted to win," he said.
Cason pointed to the coaching staff as a big reason for him deciding to sign on the dotted line.
"The vibe felt right for me and I really, really felt right coming here and being a part of it."
Cason has been a productive player in five NFL seasons, tallying 12 interceptions and four forced fumbles. He is joining a secondary that, outside of Patrick Peterson, has a lot of moving parts and quite a few unknown entities.
Where exactly he fits is up in the air, but Cason has goals.
"I'm looking to be a starter here," he said. "I come to compete, I come to play. I know my abilities. I've started in this league and had some success."
Carson is not arrogant; he knows he still has room to improve as well as stiff competition for a starting role.
Because along with Peterson and Cason, the Cardinals also have Javier Arenas, Justin Bethel, Jamell Fleming, Josh Hill, Bryan McCann, Jerraud Powers and Ronnie Yell listed as cornerbacks on the depth chart.
"What it really boils down to for me is to come out and do the things I know I'm capable of," he said. "I'm not worried about what anyone else is doing at this point in time.
"Training camp is for me to continue to get better, which I will do, continue to compete, continue to work on the things that are going to allow me to put myself in a great position to be a starter here."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.