Updated Jul 28, 2013 - 9:56 pm
Cardinals claim tight end Mickey Shuler off waivers
Looking for added insurance at tight end, the Cardinals claimed Mickey Shuler off waivers from the Buffalo Bills.
Shuler, a seventh-round pick out Penn State in 2010, played six combined games his rookie season with the Minnesota Vikings, Miami Dolphins and Cincinnati Bengals. He recorded two catches for 44 yards.
He spent 11 weeks on the Oakland Raiders practice squad in 2012 before being claimed by the Bills back in May.
"Mickey is a talented guy," said Cardinals general manager Steve Keim, who grew up in the same town as Shuler. "You all remember his dad Mickey Shuler from the Jets. He's a guy who played at Penn State and is someone Director of Player Personnel Jason [Licht] and I evaluated years ago.
"We've had concerns with the depth at that position and thought it would the right thing to do to claim him once he hit waivers."
Shuler joins a tight end corps that features Rob Housler, Jeff King, Jim Dray, 2013 seventh-round pick D.C. Jefferson and Kory Sperry.
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.