Updated Jul 28, 2013 - 9:56 pm
Cardinals claim tight end Mickey Shuler off waivers
Looking for added insurance at tight end, the Cardinals claimed Mickey Shuler off waivers from the Buffalo Bills.
Shuler, a seventh-round pick out Penn State in 2010, played six combined games his rookie season with the Minnesota Vikings, Miami Dolphins and Cincinnati Bengals. He recorded two catches for 44 yards.
He spent 11 weeks on the Oakland Raiders practice squad in 2012 before being claimed by the Bills back in May.
"Mickey is a talented guy," said Cardinals general manager Steve Keim, who grew up in the same town as Shuler. "You all remember his dad Mickey Shuler from the Jets. He's a guy who played at Penn State and is someone Director of Player Personnel Jason [Licht] and I evaluated years ago.
"We've had concerns with the depth at that position and thought it would the right thing to do to claim him once he hit waivers."
Shuler joins a tight end corps that features Rob Housler, Jeff King, Jim Dray, 2013 seventh-round pick D.C. Jefferson and Kory Sperry.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.