New father Daryn Colledge back at Arizona Cardinals' training camp
GLENDALE -- There was something, or rather, someone missing from the first day of training camp.
Daryn Colledge, 6-foot-4 and 308 pounds, was conspicuous by his absence Friday.
The first sign something was up: Paul Fanaika, the former ASU Sun Devil, lined up at starting right guard, Colledge's position.
The team called it a personal matter.
Turns out the personal matter was the birth of his daughter, Reagan Grace.
"My wife (Megan) called me yesterday morning and said, ‘It was go time'," Colledge said Saturday. "I actually almost didn't make it. It was good. It's a nice 45-minute commute (home). Luckily, I wasn't in Flagstaff because if I was in Flag I probably would've missed it."
Colledge reported both mom and baby -- born at 7:26 a.m. weighing 8 pounds, 6 ounces and 21 inches long -- are doing well. They had a water birth with a midwife.
"My wife's a champ," Colledge said. "She was a stud. She did great and then kicked me out of the house. She told me to get back to work and start winning. I got another kid to pay for so she said I got to keep working hard."
The couple have a 2-year-old daughter, Camryn, meaning Colledge is now outnumbered 3-to-1.
"It's going to be rough around the house," he said. "I got a lot of pink. I got a lot of women running around. I got plenty of issues, so I'm going to be at the football center as much as I possibly can be."
And yes, in case anyone was wondering, Colledge's absence from the first practice was excused.
"For sure. For sure," head coach Bruce Arians said. "Can't miss (the birth of your kids). Those are too special."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!