New father Daryn Colledge back at Arizona Cardinals' training camp
GLENDALE -- There was something, or rather, someone missing from the first day of training camp.
Daryn Colledge, 6-foot-4 and 308 pounds, was conspicuous by his absence Friday.
The first sign something was up: Paul Fanaika, the former ASU Sun Devil, lined up at starting right guard, Colledge's position.
The team called it a personal matter.
Turns out the personal matter was the birth of his daughter, Reagan Grace.
"My wife (Megan) called me yesterday morning and said, ‘It was go time'," Colledge said Saturday. "I actually almost didn't make it. It was good. It's a nice 45-minute commute (home). Luckily, I wasn't in Flagstaff because if I was in Flag I probably would've missed it."
Colledge reported both mom and baby -- born at 7:26 a.m. weighing 8 pounds, 6 ounces and 21 inches long -- are doing well. They had a water birth with a midwife.
"My wife's a champ," Colledge said. "She was a stud. She did great and then kicked me out of the house. She told me to get back to work and start winning. I got another kid to pay for so she said I got to keep working hard."
The couple have a 2-year-old daughter, Camryn, meaning Colledge is now outnumbered 3-to-1.
"It's going to be rough around the house," he said. "I got a lot of pink. I got a lot of women running around. I got plenty of issues, so I'm going to be at the football center as much as I possibly can be."
And yes, in case anyone was wondering, Colledge's absence from the first practice was excused.
"For sure. For sure," head coach Bruce Arians said. "Can't miss (the birth of your kids). Those are too special."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up