Arizona Cardinals excited to hold first training camp in Glendale
That changed Thursday, when the new-look Cardinals opened up camp at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, the site they've called their game day home since 2006.
"We're excited," team president Michael Bidwill said. "We're going to have training camp out here for the next several weeks. It's going to be free to the fans -- free admission, free parking -- so we encourage people to come on out."
Players ran through a conditioning test Thursday and will have their first official full-team workout Friday. The camp will run through Thursday, August 22.
The Cardinals have sold out every home game since moving into the West Valley venue seven years ago, and believe that having training camp at the same site will make it easier fans to see the team in a more relaxed environment.
"That's what excites me about this venue for practice is being able to have so many people in here, and it excites the players every day," new head coach Bruce Arians said. "When you start getting tired, and all of a sudden you hear the noise, it does get the juices flowing.
"We're really anxious to see as many people as we can every day."
Center Lyle Sendlein, a veteran of six training camps in Flagstaff, is also looking forward to the change.
"I think it's going to be a good fresh start for our team," he said. "With everything in the Renaissance (Hotel) right there, it's a lot less time in the vans going from building to building. We'll be able to have a lot more time in the film room, so that's good."
The Cardinals practice Friday afternoon at University of Phoenix Stadium starting at 2:00 p.m.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.