Updated Jul 24, 2013 - 2:31 pm
Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald believes newness may prove to be advantageous
The seven-time Pro Bowler is coming off a substandard 2012 in which he caught just 71 passes for 798 yards and four touchdowns, and his team won just five games.
With a new coaching staff, new quarterback and new teammates, things have to get better, right?
"It's been tough," Fitzgerald told ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike Wednesday morning. "It's never easy when you're not winning. First and foremost it's about winning.
"Obviously you want to be productive and go out there and be the best player you can be, but all in all you want to be on a winning team. That's what it's all about and that's what I want to change most."
That's what the organization is hoping for, too.
The additions of Bruce Arians and his staff, along with QB Carson Palmer, have left Fitzgerald optimistic as he heads into his 10th season, all with Arizona.
"We had a terrific offseason," Fitzgerald said. "Coach Arians really has an infectious attitude about football in terms of guys being committed and getting after it and learning the nuances of his system. Carson has come in and been a tremendous leader for us, somebody that we really needed."
What the Cardinals could also use is a little bit of luck. Their division is regarded as the best in football, as it features Super Bowl contenders San Francisco and Seattle along with up-and-coming St. Louis. Fitzgerald understands the difficult hand his team has been dealt, but believes a new coaching staff and overhauled roster could prove to be advantageous.
Saying the Cardinals know what their division rivals do both offensively and defensively, Fitz believes his team is a bit of a mystery.
"We probably have the most new personnel out of any team in our division, new system," he said. "So there's a lot of things that they have to prepare for that they're probably not going to be accustomed to."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.