Arizona Cardinals QB Carson Palmer is 'on the spot'
At least, that's NFL.com writer Bucky Brooks' thinking, as he nominated the Arizona Cardinals' new QB as the team's player who is "on the spot."
Basically, he's under pressure to perform.
After struggling through a miserable three-year stretch with scattershot quarterback play, the Cardinals made a bold offseason move in trading for Palmer. While some view the acquisition as a major coup that could fuel a playoff run, the former No. 1 overall pick hasn't played at an elite level since the 2006 season. There are serious questions about what he can still accomplish at this stage of his career. (Can he be anything more than a game manager?) Regardless, the Cardinals definitely view his arrival as an upgrade. But in the ultra-competitive NFC West, that might not be enough to stimulate a playoff run.
Palmer was brought in to provide stability at a position where the team has had anything but, and the coaching staff believes he will more closely resemble the player who guided the Cincinnati Bengals to the playoffs than the one who struggled to win games with the Oakland Raiders.
And if he does, the Cardinals may actually make a run in what is thought to be the toughest division in the NFL.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Coyotes CEO: Dave Tippett 'a scientist when it comes to the sport'
- Pulling off upset in Seattle a long shot for developing Cardinals
- Week 16 Injury Report: Cardinals at Seahawks
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 18
- MMQB: Cardinals' Todd Bowles considered among top minority head coaching candidates
- Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo - Tuesday December 17Cardinal Wide Receiver Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday December 17A love/hate relationship with NFL kickers
- Impromtu Power Poll - Tuesday December 17NFL coaches in the hot seat.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday December 16Arians discusses the team's dramatic, overtime victory in Tennessee.
- Paul's Call - Monday December 16It’s Paul’s Call with Paul Calvisi!