Cardinals' Patrick Peterson ranks as top-10 most versatile player
Just watch him return a punt if you need visual proof.
Anyway, Peterson's talents have sent him to the Pro Bowl each of his first two seasons, in 2011 as a punt returner and in 2012 as a cornerback.
But that's not all he can do, and as ESPN's Gary Horton notes in an ESPN Insider piece, Peterson is one of the NFC's 10 most versatile players.
The 23-year-old ranked fifth.
There is nothing that he can't do on the football field, and he's one of the elite athletes in the NFL. Peterson is a shutdown corner who now lines up to cover the opponent's best receiver, but his versatility doesn't end there.
He remains a dangerous punt returner, but has also lined up at wide receiver and actually had three receptions in 2012. His most unique skill that the coaches may use is his ability to line up at quarterback and run a Wildcat-type scheme and either run it or throw it.
There have been times over his first two seasons where Peterson lined up on offense, as he's tallied three carries for 13 yards and four receptions for 10 yards. New coach Bruce Arians is known as a creative play-caller, so it stands to reason Peterson will get a few more opportunities in 2013.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest paid CB
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.