Updated Jul 11, 2013 - 4:18 pm
NFL.com ranks Drew Stanton in bottom half of NFL's backup QBs
Signed by the Arizona Cardinals after a stint with the Indianapolis Colts, the backup signal caller was in line to be his new team's starting quarterback.
"We've got a very capable one in Drew Stanton we just happened to steal away from Chuck," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told the NFL Network in March. "Drew knows the offense, he's more than capable of doing it.
With Palmer on board, Stanton will slide into the role of backup quarterback, which is not a bad gig if you can get it. After all, in that role one is often times the most popular player on the team amongst fans.
But where does the 29-year-old Stanton rank as far as backup signal callers go? According to NFL.com's Marc Sessler, 18th.
Called a "game manager," Stanton tops a group that also includes Brady Quinn, Bruce Gradkowski and David Carr.
An uninspiring mix, but Stanton was poised to start for Arizona before Carson Palmer swooped in. Quinn has yet to prove he can guide a team out of dark corners, and Carr, at 33, is entering the swansong of his uneven-at-best career.
Stanton has appeared in 12 NFL games -- including four starts -- completing 55.6 percent of his passes for 1,158 yards with five touchdowns and nine interceptions.
Behind him on Arizona's depth chart figures to be second-year pro Ryan Lindley, though undrafted free agent Caleb TerBush is also on the roster.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.