Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 12:13 pm
Arizona Cardinals' starting lineup is graded
While it's too early to know for sure, the offense and defense figure to have at least nine new starters compared to the group that finished last season, and the hope is each will present a significant upgrade.
But according to ProFootballFocus.com's Neil Hornsby, the roster is not exactly littered with top-notch talent.
In a piece meant to judge every team's starting units, the Cardinals are noted to have just nine players who are above average.
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, not surprisingly, is regarded as a "difference maker," as is defensive end Calais Campbell.
Linebacker Daryl Washington and cornerback Patrick Peterson are said to be "high quality," while quarterback Carson Palmer, running back Rashard Mendenhall, tackle Bobby Massie, linebacker Karlos Dansby and defensive tackle Dan Williams are considered "good."
- I've given both Palmer and Mendenhall the benefit of the doubt respectively due to the former working in a more conducive environment, and the latter being healthy.
- I'm viewing Bobby Massie more on the second half of his season than the first, but did consider both.
- Before Dockett gets an upgrade he needs to show something and not just talk about how badly Ray Horton's scheme affected him — it hardly slowed Campbell did it?
Outside of them, the bulk of Arizona's starters is considered to be either "average," "below average" or "poor," though only receiver Andre Roberts grades out in the latter group.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves