Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 12:13 pm
Arizona Cardinals' starting lineup is graded
While it's too early to know for sure, the offense and defense figure to have at least nine new starters compared to the group that finished last season, and the hope is each will present a significant upgrade.
But according to ProFootballFocus.com's Neil Hornsby, the roster is not exactly littered with top-notch talent.
In a piece meant to judge every team's starting units, the Cardinals are noted to have just nine players who are above average.
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, not surprisingly, is regarded as a "difference maker," as is defensive end Calais Campbell.
Linebacker Daryl Washington and cornerback Patrick Peterson are said to be "high quality," while quarterback Carson Palmer, running back Rashard Mendenhall, tackle Bobby Massie, linebacker Karlos Dansby and defensive tackle Dan Williams are considered "good."
- I've given both Palmer and Mendenhall the benefit of the doubt respectively due to the former working in a more conducive environment, and the latter being healthy.
- I'm viewing Bobby Massie more on the second half of his season than the first, but did consider both.
- Before Dockett gets an upgrade he needs to show something and not just talk about how badly Ray Horton's scheme affected him — it hardly slowed Campbell did it?
Outside of them, the bulk of Arizona's starters is considered to be either "average," "below average" or "poor," though only receiver Andre Roberts grades out in the latter group.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.