Updated Jun 7, 2013 - 4:38 pm
ESPN's Kiper says Arizona Cardinals had a top-5 offseason
So, when the Arizona Cardinals repeatedly get recognized for what they've done since losing to the San Francisco 49ers by a score of 27-13 in Week 17 of last season, it's tough not to feel good about things.
First, ESPN's scout Matt Williamson praised the team's offseason, and now ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., in an Insider piece, has done the same, saying the Cardinals had one of the five best offseasons in the NFL.
Kiper praises the selection of guard Jonathan Cooper with their first-round pick, saying he's the player that "has the best chance to go to a Pro Bowl as a rookie."
Jonathan Cooper isn't going to maul defenders in the run game, but he's a complete guard who further strengthens an offensive line that quietly made huge strides down the stretch last season.
Besides drafting Cooper, Kiper also thinks highly of the team's move to trade for quarterback Carson Palmer.
Palmer still makes decisions that don't live up to his talent profile, but if you protect him and give him any kind of running game, he's a big step forward from what the Cardinals had. It's not really a debate. And they basically paid nothing in terms of draft value and simply have to write Palmer his sizable checks.
He later goes on to note that the biggest question remaining for the team is how well it can protect Palmer, but says the growth of right tackle Bobby Massie last year was no fluke because the player was talented, if still a bit raw.
Bottom line: The Cardinals could compete to win other divisions. Like the Rams, though, they could be cast as a noncompetitor in the NFC West. This defense has a chance to be really tough, and I don't think any team will come to Arizona this year and assume a road victory.
Well, that part isn't as exciting, but things could be plenty worse for the Cards.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?