Updated Jun 6, 2013 - 3:58 pm
The Valley's newest dynamic duo developing chemistry
Right now, Cardinals fans are hoping that the next dynamic duo to take to the field in Arizona is Fitz and Palmer, meaning Larry Fitzgerald and Carson Palmer.
A quarterback-wide receiver duo that fans could truly get excited about has been missing from the Valley for a few years now, ever since Kurt Warner had the audacity (joking) to call it quits after a 12-year career when he retired in January of 2010.
Thursday after the final day of Organized Team Activities (OTAs), Palmer addressed their relationship, which is a work in progress.
"We better have a rapport going and good chemistry by now. We're through OTAs and we've been throwing all off season. We have a good rapport going but it's something that we could be playing together for fifteen years and it's never perfect, it's always something, it's always a work in progress," said the former first overall pick. "It's something that we're continuing to make better and better each day but we have a good start going into vet minicamp. It's a good kickoff to training camp, but we'll be ready to roll by then."
The number of receptions Fitzgerald has recorded has steadily dropped over the past few years. The six-time Pro Bowler had 97 catches four seasons ago. That number shrunk to 90 in 2010, 80 in 2011 and just 71 a year ago, so having a quarterback with some experience is important to him.
"He's just a veteran, veteran leadership. He's just like all of us, we're just trying to pick it up and learn all the nuances of this offense, it's intricate. We're working hard to get better," said the future Hall-of-Fame receiver. "Having the veteran presence in the huddle, in the meeting rooms has been fantastic for me and I know it's been great for the young guys. It's exciting."
They both know that much like the dynamic duos listed earlier, chemistry is something that doesn't come overnight. The veterans are spending plenty of time learning each other's habits and tendencies on the field in the film room.
"Just body language of routes. There's a lot of reading on the run in this offense and seeing the same things and being on the same page for the right depths of routes and breaking at the right depths," Palmer said. "It's never perfect and it's something we'll continue to get better and better at but I think he and I are both very comfortable with where we're at for right now."
What's obvious when talking to the two veterans is that they have a mutual respect and admiration for the other's abilities.
"He can throw the ball. There's not a throw he can't make. He's got great touch on intermediate passes," Fitzgerald said. "He can put zip on them, he can feather it in there, he's got a tremendous arm and then he's got the intelligence and experience to go out there and make the plays. We've seen him do it; he threw for 4,000 yards out in Oakland."
Palmer echoed Fitzgerald's compliments with some of his own.
"It's been awesome. I threw him a ball today that maybe he and maybe Megatron (Calvin Johnson) catch. He's maybe not one-of-a-kind but maybe one of two-of-a-kind and it's pretty comforting."
Fans may not want to get too excited about the newest dynamic duo just yet -- it is only June. But they also could have something to really look forward to this fall.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!