Updated May 30, 2013 - 3:48 pm
Cardinals QB Palmer one of many facing a referendum
A veteran of nine NFL seasons, the two-time Pro Bowler has had success in the league, but is no longer thought of as one of the game's better passers.
The Cardinals believe he still can be, which means, according to an ESPN Insider article, he is one of a dozen quarterbacks facing referendums this season.
Chris Sprow, who wrote the piece, placed the 33-year-old in the "big-money" club.
Already a $10 million hit against the 2013 cap, Palmer is essentially being granted his last chance to secure some certainty for the future with his role in the coming season. You could consider his big totals in 2012 as either maximizing the surroundings in Oakland, or just another case of totals inflation in the era of a league in which anybody can put up big numbers. The Cardinals are another team that invested in the offensive line via the draft, and if Palmer doesn't help the team take a step forward, his job will be in jeopardy.
Palmer threw for 4,018 yards and 22 touchdowns with the Raiders last season, but the team went just 4-11 in his starts and decided to move in a different direction. Playing for Bruce Arians and with receivers like Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Roberts and Michael Floyd should make things easier on the veteran, but that does not mean he is guaranteed to find success in the desert.
At any rate, with less than four months until the Week 1 opener in St. Louis, we are all getting closer to finding out just how much the former USC star has left in the tank.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.