Updated May 30, 2013 - 3:48 pm
Cardinals QB Palmer one of many facing a referendum
A veteran of nine NFL seasons, the two-time Pro Bowler has had success in the league, but is no longer thought of as one of the game's better passers.
The Cardinals believe he still can be, which means, according to an ESPN Insider article, he is one of a dozen quarterbacks facing referendums this season.
Chris Sprow, who wrote the piece, placed the 33-year-old in the "big-money" club.
Already a $10 million hit against the 2013 cap, Palmer is essentially being granted his last chance to secure some certainty for the future with his role in the coming season. You could consider his big totals in 2012 as either maximizing the surroundings in Oakland, or just another case of totals inflation in the era of a league in which anybody can put up big numbers. The Cardinals are another team that invested in the offensive line via the draft, and if Palmer doesn't help the team take a step forward, his job will be in jeopardy.
Palmer threw for 4,018 yards and 22 touchdowns with the Raiders last season, but the team went just 4-11 in his starts and decided to move in a different direction. Playing for Bruce Arians and with receivers like Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Roberts and Michael Floyd should make things easier on the veteran, but that does not mean he is guaranteed to find success in the desert.
At any rate, with less than four months until the Week 1 opener in St. Louis, we are all getting closer to finding out just how much the former USC star has left in the tank.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!