Updated May 24, 2013 - 11:46 am
Report: Tyrann Mathieu to face up to 10 drug tests per month
The Arizona Cardinals' third round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Mathieu was dismissed from LSU prior to last season because of multiple drug-related issues. Since then, the 21-year-old has worked to get back on the field and stay clean.
The Cardinals took a chance by drafting him, and now it's up to Mathieu to show he has indeed turned his life around. And if he hasn't, it won't be a secret.
According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, Mathieu has entered into the NFL's drug-testing program and could be subject to up to 10 tests per month.
Mathieu has welcomed all additional drug testing, agreeing to be tested once per week upon being drafted by the Cardinals. Because he's in the league's program, he'll have no choice.
Mathieu's agent, Pat Lawlor, told Rapoport that "both sides understood the issues we were dealing with."
Sounds like everyone is on the same page, and that's a good thing. The Cardinals took a chance on Mathieu because of his undeniable talent, but the reason he fell to the third round is because of his undeniable past.
And the hope, for all parties involved, is that a bright future awaits.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?