Updated May 24, 2013 - 11:46 am
Report: Tyrann Mathieu to face up to 10 drug tests per month
The Arizona Cardinals' third round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Mathieu was dismissed from LSU prior to last season because of multiple drug-related issues. Since then, the 21-year-old has worked to get back on the field and stay clean.
The Cardinals took a chance by drafting him, and now it's up to Mathieu to show he has indeed turned his life around. And if he hasn't, it won't be a secret.
According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, Mathieu has entered into the NFL's drug-testing program and could be subject to up to 10 tests per month.
Mathieu has welcomed all additional drug testing, agreeing to be tested once per week upon being drafted by the Cardinals. Because he's in the league's program, he'll have no choice.
Mathieu's agent, Pat Lawlor, told Rapoport that "both sides understood the issues we were dealing with."
Sounds like everyone is on the same page, and that's a good thing. The Cardinals took a chance on Mathieu because of his undeniable talent, but the reason he fell to the third round is because of his undeniable past.
And the hope, for all parties involved, is that a bright future awaits.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.