Updated May 24, 2013 - 11:46 am
Report: Tyrann Mathieu to face up to 10 drug tests per month
The Arizona Cardinals' third round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Mathieu was dismissed from LSU prior to last season because of multiple drug-related issues. Since then, the 21-year-old has worked to get back on the field and stay clean.
The Cardinals took a chance by drafting him, and now it's up to Mathieu to show he has indeed turned his life around. And if he hasn't, it won't be a secret.
According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, Mathieu has entered into the NFL's drug-testing program and could be subject to up to 10 tests per month.
Mathieu has welcomed all additional drug testing, agreeing to be tested once per week upon being drafted by the Cardinals. Because he's in the league's program, he'll have no choice.
Mathieu's agent, Pat Lawlor, told Rapoport that "both sides understood the issues we were dealing with."
Sounds like everyone is on the same page, and that's a good thing. The Cardinals took a chance on Mathieu because of his undeniable talent, but the reason he fell to the third round is because of his undeniable past.
And the hope, for all parties involved, is that a bright future awaits.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.