Updated May 23, 2013 - 1:48 pm
Cardinals sign third-round pick Tyrann Mathieu
Details of the contract were not released, though there was early speculation that it might include no guaranteed money. However, Mathieu's agent said that would not be the case, and according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport the player will get his full slotted signing bonus, with some of it will be paid up front and the rest coming as roster bonuses.
A defensive back from LSU, Mathieu enters the league as one of the more talented and intriguing rookies. In two seasons with the Tigers, he had eight fumble recoveries, 11 forced fumbles, four interceptions, 133 tackles, 16 passes defensed and six sacks. He also returned 27 punts for 421 yards and two touchdowns. However, Mathieu was dismissed from the team before the 2012 season due to drug-related issues, and he has not played a down of football since.
Mathieu is the sixth member of the Cardinals' 2013 draft class to sign, leaving them with three to go, as first-round pick Jonathan Cooper along with fourth-round selections Alex Okafor and Earl Watford have yet to sign.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.