Updated May 23, 2013 - 1:48 pm
Cardinals sign third-round pick Tyrann Mathieu
Details of the contract were not released, though there was early speculation that it might include no guaranteed money. However, Mathieu's agent said that would not be the case, and according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport the player will get his full slotted signing bonus, with some of it will be paid up front and the rest coming as roster bonuses.
A defensive back from LSU, Mathieu enters the league as one of the more talented and intriguing rookies. In two seasons with the Tigers, he had eight fumble recoveries, 11 forced fumbles, four interceptions, 133 tackles, 16 passes defensed and six sacks. He also returned 27 punts for 421 yards and two touchdowns. However, Mathieu was dismissed from the team before the 2012 season due to drug-related issues, and he has not played a down of football since.
Mathieu is the sixth member of the Cardinals' 2013 draft class to sign, leaving them with three to go, as first-round pick Jonathan Cooper along with fourth-round selections Alex Okafor and Earl Watford have yet to sign.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.