Updated May 20, 2013 - 1:00 pm
ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals were a free agency winner
Winners of just five games in 2012 and having missed the postseason three straight years, there was plenty of room for improvement. And, according to ESPN's John Clayton, new general manager Steve Keim did an excellent job of adding pieces through free agency without breaking the bank on some of the high-priced stars.
As for teams, three winners emerged from the post-frenzy shopping market -- Arizona, Chicago and Tennessee. Based on playing time from last year, I'd give the Cardinals the slight edge from the post-March 17 market. Among their signings, cornerback Antoine Cason played 976 snaps for the Chargers last year, Jasper Brinkley had 813 snaps at linebacker for the Minnesota Vikings, and Chilo Rachal had 643 snaps on the Bears' offensive line. The cost was a combined $5.7 million in contracts.
Many of the team's additions are of the "fly under the radar" type, though most played significant roles for their previous team.
Clayton noted that the Cardinals ranked 14th in the league as far as money spent, handing out $36.9 million to free agents.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN's Brock Huard says Seattle Seahawks' vulnerabilities are running game, penalties
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 20
- Double Coverage: Arizona Cardinals vs. Seattle Seahawks
- Marshawn Lynch presents another big challenge for Arizona Cardinals defense
- The biggest story was Carson Palmer, and here's why
- Brock Huard, ESPN Seattle analyst - Friday December 20Huard joins Burns & Gambo to talk about this Sundays Cardinals and Seahwaks game.
- Kurt Warner, former Cardinals QB - Friday December 20Kurt Warner talks about the improving Carson Palmer and the Cards' chances of making the playoffs.
- Wolf's 5 Star Games - Friday December 20Wolf gives his top 5 NFL games for this weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 20Wolf gives factors in the Cardinals upcoming game in Seattle.
- Michael Bidwell, President AZ Cardinals - Friday December 20The AZ Cardinals President discusses the upcoming game in Seattle.