Updated May 20, 2013 - 1:00 pm
ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals were a free agency winner
Winners of just five games in 2012 and having missed the postseason three straight years, there was plenty of room for improvement. And, according to ESPN's John Clayton, new general manager Steve Keim did an excellent job of adding pieces through free agency without breaking the bank on some of the high-priced stars.
As for teams, three winners emerged from the post-frenzy shopping market -- Arizona, Chicago and Tennessee. Based on playing time from last year, I'd give the Cardinals the slight edge from the post-March 17 market. Among their signings, cornerback Antoine Cason played 976 snaps for the Chargers last year, Jasper Brinkley had 813 snaps at linebacker for the Minnesota Vikings, and Chilo Rachal had 643 snaps on the Bears' offensive line. The cost was a combined $5.7 million in contracts.
Many of the team's additions are of the "fly under the radar" type, though most played significant roles for their previous team.
Clayton noted that the Cardinals ranked 14th in the league as far as money spent, handing out $36.9 million to free agents.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.