Updated May 19, 2013 - 10:48 pm
CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
But safe might not be the only word used to describe Cooper during his first season in the Valley.
CBSSports.com's Will Brinson named his top 10 impact offensive rookies this week, and the 2012 Consensus All-American had no problem making the list, coming in at No. 5.
5. Jonathan Cooper, OG, Cardinals
It's counter-intuitive to think that an offensive guard on a bad offensive line is going to make an immediate impact for a team in a division featuring three extremely dangerous defenses. But Cooper is talented and athletic enough to make a difference immediately, and you can't understate the importance of what an improvement at guard will mean for the Cardinals. Cooper's presence will shore up the left side of the line with Levi Brown at tackle and that in turn makes life easier for everyone on the line, including Bobby Massie on the right side, who improved over the course of 2012. It's a trickle-down effect that will result in Carson Palmer having more time in the pocket and could result in another rookie -- running back Andre Ellington -- becoming an important piece of the offense, particularly in the screen game, where Cooper excels in blocking.
Just by the numbers themselves, it's hard to disagree with Brinson's optimistic projection.
In 2012, the Cardinals were the worst rushing team (75.3 yards/game) and fifth-worst passing team (188 yards/game) in the NFL. The Redbirds' offensive line also allowed a league-high 58 sacks.
Joining Cooper on Brinson's esteemed list were Giovani Bernard (Bengals), Tavon Austin (Rams), Le'Veon Bell (Steelers), DeAndre Hopkins (Texans), Eric Fisher (Chiefs), Luke Joekel (Jaguars), Cordarrelle Patterson (Vikings), EJ Manuel (Bills) and Eddie Lacy/Jonathan Franklin (Packers).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.