Updated May 19, 2013 - 10:48 pm
CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
But safe might not be the only word used to describe Cooper during his first season in the Valley.
CBSSports.com's Will Brinson named his top 10 impact offensive rookies this week, and the 2012 Consensus All-American had no problem making the list, coming in at No. 5.
5. Jonathan Cooper, OG, Cardinals
It's counter-intuitive to think that an offensive guard on a bad offensive line is going to make an immediate impact for a team in a division featuring three extremely dangerous defenses. But Cooper is talented and athletic enough to make a difference immediately, and you can't understate the importance of what an improvement at guard will mean for the Cardinals. Cooper's presence will shore up the left side of the line with Levi Brown at tackle and that in turn makes life easier for everyone on the line, including Bobby Massie on the right side, who improved over the course of 2012. It's a trickle-down effect that will result in Carson Palmer having more time in the pocket and could result in another rookie -- running back Andre Ellington -- becoming an important piece of the offense, particularly in the screen game, where Cooper excels in blocking.
Just by the numbers themselves, it's hard to disagree with Brinson's optimistic projection.
In 2012, the Cardinals were the worst rushing team (75.3 yards/game) and fifth-worst passing team (188 yards/game) in the NFL. The Redbirds' offensive line also allowed a league-high 58 sacks.
Joining Cooper on Brinson's esteemed list were Giovani Bernard (Bengals), Tavon Austin (Rams), Le'Veon Bell (Steelers), DeAndre Hopkins (Texans), Eric Fisher (Chiefs), Luke Joekel (Jaguars), Cordarrelle Patterson (Vikings), EJ Manuel (Bills) and Eddie Lacy/Jonathan Franklin (Packers).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.