Updated May 17, 2013 - 5:28 pm
NFL.com writer: Cardinals QB Carson Palmer a 'stopgap'
Despite throwing for over 6,700 yards the past two seasons with the Oakland Raiders, most believe Palmer, 33, is in the twilight of his career. Be it because of his teams' lack of on-field success (16-32 record since 2010) or his sometimes inaccurate right arm (50 interceptions since 2010), the Cardinals quarterback doesn't appear to be winning over many fans, or for that matter many media members, outside of the Valley.
Earlier this week, CBSSports.com's Will Brinson ranked Palmer as the 26th-best starting quarterback in the league, citing his arm strength and decision making as causes for concern.
Well, apparently Brinson isn't alone.
Friday, NFL.com's Marc Sessler also took a stab at ranking the league's top 35 passers, and once again Palmer wasn't high on the list.
Sessler broke down his QB rankings into 10 categories (Three kings, Franchise gold, The future Part I, The future Part II, Solid dudes, Critical seasons ahead, Trick or treat, Stopgaps, How can I trust you? and Just another guy), and the first-year Cardinal came in at No. 24 as a stopgap alongside Eagles quarterback Michael Vick.
24. Carson Palmer
People talk about Palmer's big numbers in Oakland, but the Raiders eternally played from 20 points down during his run. Carson's not the future for the Cardinals -- or any team.
By definition, Palmer is a short-term solution given that his restructured deal only runs through 2015, but after several "stopgaps" have come and gone since Kurt Warner's retirement in Jan. 2010, for the Cardinals' sake, let's hope Sessler's label doesn't completely come to fruition with the former Heisman Trophy winner.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.