Updated May 17, 2013 - 6:04 am
CBSSports.com columnist: Cardinals' Patrick Peterson top NFL player under 23
During his rookie season, the former LSU standout took the league by a storm with a record-tying four punt returns for touchdowns, all of which went for 80 or more yards.
But after making an initial trip to the Pro Bowl for his talents in the return game, Peterson came back in 2012 with an eye towards refining his skills as a cover corner.
Going up against the likes of Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Percy Harvin and Roddy White during the Cardinals' 5-11 campaign, he did just that, finishing with 55 tackles and a team-high seven interceptions.
For his efforts, Peterson was voted back to Honolulu as a cornerback for the NFC, but the recognition apparently didn't stop there.
This week, CBSSports.com columnist Pete Prisco ranked the top 10 players in the NFL under the age of 23, and the Cardinals' multidimensional talent came in at No. 1.
1. Patrick Peterson, CB, Arizona Cardinals -- He is a special player and one of the best cover players in the league already. He can return kicks among the best in the NFL, but it's his cover skills on the corner that make him truly special. He will be a perennial Pro Bowl player in the coming years.
Joining Peterson on Prisco's list were Luke Kuechly (Panthers),Tyron Smith (Cowboys), Bobby Wagner (Seahawks), Michael Brockers (Rams), Fletcher Cox (Eagles), Stephen Gilmore (Bills), Trent Richardson (Browns), Josh Gordon (Browns) and Vick Ballard (Colts).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.