Updated May 17, 2013 - 6:04 am
CBSSports.com columnist: Cardinals' Patrick Peterson top NFL player under 23
During his rookie season, the former LSU standout took the league by a storm with a record-tying four punt returns for touchdowns, all of which went for 80 or more yards.
But after making an initial trip to the Pro Bowl for his talents in the return game, Peterson came back in 2012 with an eye towards refining his skills as a cover corner.
Going up against the likes of Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Percy Harvin and Roddy White during the Cardinals' 5-11 campaign, he did just that, finishing with 55 tackles and a team-high seven interceptions.
For his efforts, Peterson was voted back to Honolulu as a cornerback for the NFC, but the recognition apparently didn't stop there.
This week, CBSSports.com columnist Pete Prisco ranked the top 10 players in the NFL under the age of 23, and the Cardinals' multidimensional talent came in at No. 1.
1. Patrick Peterson, CB, Arizona Cardinals -- He is a special player and one of the best cover players in the league already. He can return kicks among the best in the NFL, but it's his cover skills on the corner that make him truly special. He will be a perennial Pro Bowl player in the coming years.
Joining Peterson on Prisco's list were Luke Kuechly (Panthers),Tyron Smith (Cowboys), Bobby Wagner (Seahawks), Michael Brockers (Rams), Fletcher Cox (Eagles), Stephen Gilmore (Bills), Trent Richardson (Browns), Josh Gordon (Browns) and Vick Ballard (Colts).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.