Updated May 16, 2013 - 11:26 am
Cardinals' Carson Palmer getting to know his coach's voice
Head coach Bruce Arians introduced the headset to call in plays to the quarterbacks.
"They've got to hear my voice and get used to hearing the play and if I want to add anything to it, a coaching point: ‘Time to take a shot', ‘Let's get the first down', ‘Be alert for a blitz'," he said. "They get to hear that voice and it takes a long time. We'll do that every time we have a live practice."
Arians said he's always done this during the offseason workout program.
Carson Palmer, going into his 11th NFL season, liked the move even though most teams will wait until training camp to break out the headset.
"I have a long way to go to really get to know him," Palmer said of Arians. "You don't get to know a play-caller until they've called a ton of plays for you. Having him in the headset, calling in plays, getting used to the way he puts a little punctuation on certain formations or motions or protections. That will come. That will definitely come.
"I'm excited that he started the headset communication this early."
The headset certainly helps with learning a new offense and understanding the terminology. There is another reason why Palmer likes the headset.
"(Arians has) got a little bit of an accent and puts a little emphasis on some words, so I've got to get used to that," he said with a smile. "I'll get more comfortable with him as we go."
Yeah, just exactly what is that accent?
Arians grew up in Paterson, New Jersey, played collegiately at Virginia Tech and spent a handful of years early in his coaching career in the SEC.
"I'm not quite as northern as (assistant head coach) Tom (Moore) and not as southern as (quarterbacks coach) Freddie (Kitchens). I'm in between in there somewhere," Arians said chuckling. "Yeah, you've got to learn to hear (my voice)."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.