Updated May 16, 2013 - 11:26 am
Cardinals' Carson Palmer getting to know his coach's voice
Head coach Bruce Arians introduced the headset to call in plays to the quarterbacks.
"They've got to hear my voice and get used to hearing the play and if I want to add anything to it, a coaching point: ‘Time to take a shot', ‘Let's get the first down', ‘Be alert for a blitz'," he said. "They get to hear that voice and it takes a long time. We'll do that every time we have a live practice."
Arians said he's always done this during the offseason workout program.
Carson Palmer, going into his 11th NFL season, liked the move even though most teams will wait until training camp to break out the headset.
"I have a long way to go to really get to know him," Palmer said of Arians. "You don't get to know a play-caller until they've called a ton of plays for you. Having him in the headset, calling in plays, getting used to the way he puts a little punctuation on certain formations or motions or protections. That will come. That will definitely come.
"I'm excited that he started the headset communication this early."
The headset certainly helps with learning a new offense and understanding the terminology. There is another reason why Palmer likes the headset.
"(Arians has) got a little bit of an accent and puts a little emphasis on some words, so I've got to get used to that," he said with a smile. "I'll get more comfortable with him as we go."
Yeah, just exactly what is that accent?
Arians grew up in Paterson, New Jersey, played collegiately at Virginia Tech and spent a handful of years early in his coaching career in the SEC.
"I'm not quite as northern as (assistant head coach) Tom (Moore) and not as southern as (quarterbacks coach) Freddie (Kitchens). I'm in between in there somewhere," Arians said chuckling. "Yeah, you've got to learn to hear (my voice)."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.