Updated May 10, 2013 - 5:52 pm
Cardinals' rookies take center stage
The Arizona Cardinals opened a three-day rookie minicamp Friday with 38 players, including all nine 2013 draft picks.
"It's huge for these guys to be able to come out and go at their pace and their tempo," head coach Bruce Arians said. "But we really haven't slowed it down as coaches. We threw it at them just like we did the veterans in their first minicamp."
Arians, in his first year as head coach, was pleased with day one, but couldn't and wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the players' early work.
"It's too early to tell," he said. "You really can't tell until the lights come on. Some of them were different from this morning's walkthrough to this afternoon's practice. Until you put them under the lights and battle test them in the preseason you don't really know about them.
"I've had many, many guys that just lit it up on the practice field, then you turn the lights on and they slowed to half speed; and other guys were just the opposite," Arians continued.
"We'll find all that out in August."
For what it's worth, first-round pick Jonathan Cooper lined up at left guard while fourth-round pick Earl Watford practiced at right guard.
Arians joked that "these poor guys don't get a chance" to retain much from their first time on the field because they'll be handed a whole new offense and defense on days two and three.
The true recall test, he said, will come next Tuesday in the first voluntary organized team activities with veterans and rookies.
There are 16 undrafted rookie free agents and a handful of guys in on a tryout. Arians said every one of them has the same opportunity.
"It doesn't matter how you get here. It's what you do while you're here," he said. "There is story after story after story of guys that were undrafted that have made a great career of themselves just because they put their head down and grind.
"We've got some really talented guys that we liked and had good grades on that didn't get drafted," Arians continued. "We're excited about adding them to the mix."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves