Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:45 pm
Cardinals' Mathieu says no more 'Honey Badger' nickname
In short, the former LSU standout wants a fresh start. He wants to move on from his well-known past and that doesn't just include his off-the-field transgressions.
During his rise to national prominence in 2011, Mathieu commonly was referred to by his nickname the "Honey Badger" more so than his actual surname. Coined to honor his reckless abandon on the football field, it was a nickname and a persona that the former Heisman Trophy Finalist embraced at the time.
But times have apparently changed.
"I understand that a lot of people who are in love with the 'Honey Badger' won't let it go," Mathieu said. "For me, going forward I want people to recognize me as Tyrann Mathieu.
"That's my biggest thing. I don't have anything against the 'Honey Badger' it's just that the 'Honey Badger' happened at such a dark time in my life. I'm just really focusing on Tyrann right now."
Mathieu did make one caveat to his new rule, though.
"If the little kids out there want to call me 'Honey Badger' they can do that," said the Cardinals rookie.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.