Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:45 pm
Cardinals' Mathieu says no more 'Honey Badger' nickname
In short, the former LSU standout wants a fresh start. He wants to move on from his well-known past and that doesn't just include his off-the-field transgressions.
During his rise to national prominence in 2011, Mathieu commonly was referred to by his nickname the "Honey Badger" more so than his actual surname. Coined to honor his reckless abandon on the football field, it was a nickname and a persona that the former Heisman Trophy Finalist embraced at the time.
But times have apparently changed.
"I understand that a lot of people who are in love with the 'Honey Badger' won't let it go," Mathieu said. "For me, going forward I want people to recognize me as Tyrann Mathieu.
"That's my biggest thing. I don't have anything against the 'Honey Badger' it's just that the 'Honey Badger' happened at such a dark time in my life. I'm just really focusing on Tyrann right now."
Mathieu did make one caveat to his new rule, though.
"If the little kids out there want to call me 'Honey Badger' they can do that," said the Cardinals rookie.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.