Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:45 pm
Cardinals' Mathieu says no more 'Honey Badger' nickname
In short, the former LSU standout wants a fresh start. He wants to move on from his well-known past and that doesn't just include his off-the-field transgressions.
During his rise to national prominence in 2011, Mathieu commonly was referred to by his nickname the "Honey Badger" more so than his actual surname. Coined to honor his reckless abandon on the football field, it was a nickname and a persona that the former Heisman Trophy Finalist embraced at the time.
But times have apparently changed.
"I understand that a lot of people who are in love with the 'Honey Badger' won't let it go," Mathieu said. "For me, going forward I want people to recognize me as Tyrann Mathieu.
"That's my biggest thing. I don't have anything against the 'Honey Badger' it's just that the 'Honey Badger' happened at such a dark time in my life. I'm just really focusing on Tyrann right now."
Mathieu did make one caveat to his new rule, though.
"If the little kids out there want to call me 'Honey Badger' they can do that," said the Cardinals rookie.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?