Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:45 pm
Cardinals' Mathieu says no more 'Honey Badger' nickname
In short, the former LSU standout wants a fresh start. He wants to move on from his well-known past and that doesn't just include his off-the-field transgressions.
During his rise to national prominence in 2011, Mathieu commonly was referred to by his nickname the "Honey Badger" more so than his actual surname. Coined to honor his reckless abandon on the football field, it was a nickname and a persona that the former Heisman Trophy Finalist embraced at the time.
But times have apparently changed.
"I understand that a lot of people who are in love with the 'Honey Badger' won't let it go," Mathieu said. "For me, going forward I want people to recognize me as Tyrann Mathieu.
"That's my biggest thing. I don't have anything against the 'Honey Badger' it's just that the 'Honey Badger' happened at such a dark time in my life. I'm just really focusing on Tyrann right now."
Mathieu did make one caveat to his new rule, though.
"If the little kids out there want to call me 'Honey Badger' they can do that," said the Cardinals rookie.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.