Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:45 pm
Cardinals' Mathieu says no more 'Honey Badger' nickname
In short, the former LSU standout wants a fresh start. He wants to move on from his well-known past and that doesn't just include his off-the-field transgressions.
During his rise to national prominence in 2011, Mathieu commonly was referred to by his nickname the "Honey Badger" more so than his actual surname. Coined to honor his reckless abandon on the football field, it was a nickname and a persona that the former Heisman Trophy Finalist embraced at the time.
But times have apparently changed.
"I understand that a lot of people who are in love with the 'Honey Badger' won't let it go," Mathieu said. "For me, going forward I want people to recognize me as Tyrann Mathieu.
"That's my biggest thing. I don't have anything against the 'Honey Badger' it's just that the 'Honey Badger' happened at such a dark time in my life. I'm just really focusing on Tyrann right now."
Mathieu did make one caveat to his new rule, though.
"If the little kids out there want to call me 'Honey Badger' they can do that," said the Cardinals rookie.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.