Updated May 6, 2013 - 4:45 pm
Calais Campbell: Defense won't change much, offense will be better
That the team lost 11 games was, by and large, the fault of an incredibly faulty offense.
Still, defensive coordinator Ray Horton was a casualty of the coaching change from Ken Whisenhunt to Bruce Arians, which has some concerned that the defense will not be as good in 2013.
However, defensive end Calais Campbell, who tallied 6.5 sacks in 13 games last season, says there really isn't much difference between Horton and new defensive coordinator Todd Bowles.
"The only real difference is what he's allowing us to do on the defensive line," Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "But as far as the scheme goes, it's very, very similar. It's the same defense, pretty much."
Where things will be different, at least one hopes, is on the offensive side of the ball. The Cardinals were second-worst last season in points per game and dead last in total yards.
Enter new quarterback Carson Palmer, among other players, and there's a sense of optimism that things will turn around.
"Our offense wills core lots of points," Campbell said. "I love Carson Palmer being on the team.
"That gives us a lot more confidence to try and give him the ball because you know he can do a lot of great things with it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.