Updated May 6, 2013 - 4:45 pm
Calais Campbell: Defense won't change much, offense will be better
That the team lost 11 games was, by and large, the fault of an incredibly faulty offense.
Still, defensive coordinator Ray Horton was a casualty of the coaching change from Ken Whisenhunt to Bruce Arians, which has some concerned that the defense will not be as good in 2013.
However, defensive end Calais Campbell, who tallied 6.5 sacks in 13 games last season, says there really isn't much difference between Horton and new defensive coordinator Todd Bowles.
"The only real difference is what he's allowing us to do on the defensive line," Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "But as far as the scheme goes, it's very, very similar. It's the same defense, pretty much."
Where things will be different, at least one hopes, is on the offensive side of the ball. The Cardinals were second-worst last season in points per game and dead last in total yards.
Enter new quarterback Carson Palmer, among other players, and there's a sense of optimism that things will turn around.
"Our offense wills core lots of points," Campbell said. "I love Carson Palmer being on the team.
"That gives us a lot more confidence to try and give him the ball because you know he can do a lot of great things with it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.