Updated May 6, 2013 - 4:45 pm
Calais Campbell: Defense won't change much, offense will be better
That the team lost 11 games was, by and large, the fault of an incredibly faulty offense.
Still, defensive coordinator Ray Horton was a casualty of the coaching change from Ken Whisenhunt to Bruce Arians, which has some concerned that the defense will not be as good in 2013.
However, defensive end Calais Campbell, who tallied 6.5 sacks in 13 games last season, says there really isn't much difference between Horton and new defensive coordinator Todd Bowles.
"The only real difference is what he's allowing us to do on the defensive line," Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "But as far as the scheme goes, it's very, very similar. It's the same defense, pretty much."
Where things will be different, at least one hopes, is on the offensive side of the ball. The Cardinals were second-worst last season in points per game and dead last in total yards.
Enter new quarterback Carson Palmer, among other players, and there's a sense of optimism that things will turn around.
"Our offense wills core lots of points," Campbell said. "I love Carson Palmer being on the team.
"That gives us a lot more confidence to try and give him the ball because you know he can do a lot of great things with it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.