Updated May 3, 2013 - 4:26 pm
SI writer thinks Tyrann Mathieu can be 'impactful' with Cardinals
Mathieu, who finished fifth in the 2011 Heisman Trophy balloting, did not play in 2012 after being kicked off the LSU roster by head coach Les Miles. Mathieu had failed repeated drug tests which led to his dismissal. Following an abbreviated stay in a drug treatment center, Mathieu and three other former LSU players were arrested for possession of marijuana.
Needless to say, there is a good amount of risk in investing a high draft pick on a talented but troubled player like Mathieu.
But Stewart Mandel, who covers college football for Sports Illustrated, knows exactly why the Cardinals took that risk.
"During the draft, when he got picked and they showed the highlights, for me, it was like a trip down memory lane," Mandel told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "I had forgotten just how exciting a player he was in the 2011 season. LSU went to the national title game and he was one of the central figures of it."
The Cardinals will rely on Mathieu's former LSU teammates Patrick Peterson and Kevin Minter to mentor him and keep him walking a clean path. If they can, Mandel believes Mathieu will have a productive career in the desert.
"I just really hope he's got the right support around him to keep him out of trouble, and if he does, I think he can be a tremendously impactful player -- at the very least on special teams or as a returner and possibly also as a corner or safety," Mandel said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.