Updated May 3, 2013 - 4:26 pm
SI writer thinks Tyrann Mathieu can be 'impactful' with Cardinals
Mathieu, who finished fifth in the 2011 Heisman Trophy balloting, did not play in 2012 after being kicked off the LSU roster by head coach Les Miles. Mathieu had failed repeated drug tests which led to his dismissal. Following an abbreviated stay in a drug treatment center, Mathieu and three other former LSU players were arrested for possession of marijuana.
Needless to say, there is a good amount of risk in investing a high draft pick on a talented but troubled player like Mathieu.
But Stewart Mandel, who covers college football for Sports Illustrated, knows exactly why the Cardinals took that risk.
"During the draft, when he got picked and they showed the highlights, for me, it was like a trip down memory lane," Mandel told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "I had forgotten just how exciting a player he was in the 2011 season. LSU went to the national title game and he was one of the central figures of it."
The Cardinals will rely on Mathieu's former LSU teammates Patrick Peterson and Kevin Minter to mentor him and keep him walking a clean path. If they can, Mandel believes Mathieu will have a productive career in the desert.
"I just really hope he's got the right support around him to keep him out of trouble, and if he does, I think he can be a tremendously impactful player -- at the very least on special teams or as a returner and possibly also as a corner or safety," Mandel said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.