Updated May 3, 2013 - 2:41 pm
Calais Campbell: Bruce Arians is exactly what team needed
A second-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, his rookie year ended with an appearance in the Super Bowl, while his fifth season saw the team win just five games.
The only coach he'd ever known, Ken Whisenhunt, was fired and replaced by Bruce Arians. While he wasn't necessarily for the move, Campbell said he thinks it will work out for the best.
"I respect Coach Whiz a lot, he's a great coach," Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday, before adding he thinks Whisenhunt will find success again. "I think that also, sometimes in situations, it's the NFL is a short-term business, so sometimes change is necessary and good.
"I think what Bruce brings to the table for us this year is exactly what we need right now."
Campbell, who is coming off a season in which he tallied 63 tackles and 6.5 sacks, thinks the Cardinals have the potential to be a really good team.
Part of that comes from quite a bit of roster turnover, as the Cardinals that take the field Week 1 in 2013 will barely resemble the group that finished the 2012 season.
"It's definitely going to be a whole different look, but we've still got a lot of the core guys still here from years past," Campbell said. "All the new guys I've seen so far, they compliment us well.
"I think we have a lot of guys who are play makers, a lot of guys who are eager to win, a lot of guys who are going to put the team in front of themselves. I think we're going to be very good."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- NFL.com predicts a couple of Arizona Cardinals will win awards
- Report: Arizona Cardinals negotiating contract with James Harrison
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Arizona Cardinals sign DT Tommy Kelly
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.