Updated May 3, 2013 - 2:41 pm
Calais Campbell: Bruce Arians is exactly what team needed
A second-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, his rookie year ended with an appearance in the Super Bowl, while his fifth season saw the team win just five games.
The only coach he'd ever known, Ken Whisenhunt, was fired and replaced by Bruce Arians. While he wasn't necessarily for the move, Campbell said he thinks it will work out for the best.
"I respect Coach Whiz a lot, he's a great coach," Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday, before adding he thinks Whisenhunt will find success again. "I think that also, sometimes in situations, it's the NFL is a short-term business, so sometimes change is necessary and good.
"I think what Bruce brings to the table for us this year is exactly what we need right now."
Campbell, who is coming off a season in which he tallied 63 tackles and 6.5 sacks, thinks the Cardinals have the potential to be a really good team.
Part of that comes from quite a bit of roster turnover, as the Cardinals that take the field Week 1 in 2013 will barely resemble the group that finished the 2012 season.
"It's definitely going to be a whole different look, but we've still got a lot of the core guys still here from years past," Campbell said. "All the new guys I've seen so far, they compliment us well.
"I think we have a lot of guys who are play makers, a lot of guys who are eager to win, a lot of guys who are going to put the team in front of themselves. I think we're going to be very good."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Antonio Cromartie: Arizona Cardinals ‘most talented secondary' he has been a part of
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie in 'best shape of his career'
- Personnel and penumbras
- Arizona Cardinals' Alex Okafor's transition to linebacker is complete
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi