Updated May 2, 2013 - 1:08 pm
New Cardinal Andre Ellington ready to compete
Even with Rashard Mendenhall and Ryan Williams already on the roster, and having drafted Stanford's Stepfan Taylor in the prior round, general manager Steve Keim told CBSSports.com Ellington "was sticking out like a sore thumb" when they were on the clock.
So, the Cardinals pulled the trigger and selected a player who ran for 2,259 yards and 19 touchdowns over the last two years.
Ellington will slide in behind Mendenhall and Williams, but after that the pecking order is far from set.
"I'm going to come in there with the midset of trying to play early," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "But having those two guys be the leaders in the running back room, I can take a lot of thoughts and a lot of wisdom from those guys."
And perhaps, playing time.
Neither Mendenhall nor Williams have been pillars of health in recent years, and each -- like Ellington -- are still looking to establish themselves.
For his part, Ellington believes he is the type of player who can serve as a change-of-pace back as well as a lead runner. He's got good speed and quickness, but is a bit on the small side.
It's one of the reasons he lasted until the sixth round, even though some thought he was a second-round talent.
"I realized I didn't have the offseason that I needed and that I wanted," he said, citing some minor injuries that affected his workouts for NFL teams. "I feel like that was something that made me slide a little in the draft."
But he's a Cardinal now, and he could not be happier.
"I can't wait to get there and be able to compete," he said. "I was always hearing good things about their organization.
"I'm very fortunate to be a part of it. Great city, great team -- they always win games and I'm just excited to be a part of it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Arizona Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein to miss 3 weeks after suffering calf injury
- John Brown is like…
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.