Updated May 1, 2013 - 4:24 pm
Cardinals' guard Earl Watford bringing confidence to NFL
Eight of those players come from big-time FBS college programs like LSU, Texas, Texas A&M and Clemson.
Then there's fourth-round pick Earl Watford, a guard out of James Madison -- a program that now has had only three players drafted since 2000.
Watford joined Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620 and was asked if he's got a chip on his shoulder since he went to a smaller school and lasted until the fourth round.
"Oh, of course I have a chip on my shoulder," Watford answered. "But at the same time, I played in the CAA (Colonial Athletic Association), great competition, great players and there are a lot of players from there in the NFL right now."
Watford understands that many will doubt his ability since his college career wasn't spent going against powerhouse competition week in, week out.
"I'm here to prove to players and my teammates that I can play," he said. "Just because I didn't play in the SEC doesn't mean I can't hold up."
Watford is confident in his abilities as a run blocker and a pass protector. In fact, he only gave up one sack in his college career at JMU.
"That's what they say, I don't think I gave up that one," he joked.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.