Updated May 1, 2013 - 6:45 am
LSU coach Les Miles: Kevin Minter 'will be an every-down player'
The Cardinals didn't wait long to address the need, but their selection was a bit of a surprise. Despite Manti Te'o and Kiko Alonso still on the board, Steve Keim and Co. ultimately traded down from No. 38 to No. 45 and opted for LSU's Kevin Minter.
Minter, who was a Butkus Award finalist in 2012, had 130 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss and four sacks during his junior season, but his former college coach said Arizona is getting more than just a guy who can put up stats.
"(The Cardinals) got a guy with a real knack for inline play," Les Miles told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "It'll be real difficult for the ball to be run between the tackles, Kevin Minter just knows where to be.
"And when he tackles, he tackles it hard and he tackles it low. He gets into a zone where that guy is sideline-to-sideline, he's inline and his presence is felt."
While Miles noted that Minter will need to prove to the Cardinals' coaching staff that he can play in zone coverage and in man-to-man coverage, he sees the former LSU linebacker playing a lot of snaps right away.
"I think he'll be an every-down player," said Miles. "He's a guy who will make a lot of big-time tackles.
"He's another one that's going to be true blue, when the coach says, 'This is what I'm seeing,' he's going to say 'I agree.' If the coach says, 'This is how we're going to operate and where headed,' Kevin Minter will follow right in that. He was the leader of our team."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.