Updated May 1, 2013 - 6:45 am
LSU coach Les Miles: Kevin Minter 'will be an every-down player'
The Cardinals didn't wait long to address the need, but their selection was a bit of a surprise. Despite Manti Te'o and Kiko Alonso still on the board, Steve Keim and Co. ultimately traded down from No. 38 to No. 45 and opted for LSU's Kevin Minter.
Minter, who was a Butkus Award finalist in 2012, had 130 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss and four sacks during his junior season, but his former college coach said Arizona is getting more than just a guy who can put up stats.
"(The Cardinals) got a guy with a real knack for inline play," Les Miles told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "It'll be real difficult for the ball to be run between the tackles, Kevin Minter just knows where to be.
"And when he tackles, he tackles it hard and he tackles it low. He gets into a zone where that guy is sideline-to-sideline, he's inline and his presence is felt."
While Miles noted that Minter will need to prove to the Cardinals' coaching staff that he can play in zone coverage and in man-to-man coverage, he sees the former LSU linebacker playing a lot of snaps right away.
"I think he'll be an every-down player," said Miles. "He's a guy who will make a lot of big-time tackles.
"He's another one that's going to be true blue, when the coach says, 'This is what I'm seeing,' he's going to say 'I agree.' If the coach says, 'This is how we're going to operate and where headed,' Kevin Minter will follow right in that. He was the leader of our team."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!